Join Our Team
We are a tight knit group of scientists and fermentation enthusiasts. Join us.
Berkeley Yeast is looking for a Research Associate to perform research and experimentation toward the development of winemaking yeast strains. The title and compensation are flexible and commensurate with skills and experience. The individual will be part of a close-knit R&D team building new brewing and winemaking yeast strains using cutting-edge synthetic biology and analytical methods. We value individuals who are self-starting and detail-oriented. Core responsibilities will include development and execution of analytical methods for quantification of compounds in wine, molecular cloning, yeast strain development, and small-scale fermentations. Depending on the candidate’s interest and fit, this role may also support in vitro assay development to advance our research goals.
- Bachelor’s degree in chemistry, biochemistry, or an adjacent field
- 1+ years of undergraduate coursework in organic chemistry and/or analytical chemistry
- 1+ years of post-graduation laboratory experience in a research lab
- Familiarity with small-molecule analytical chemistry methods and data analysis through coursework and/or laboratory research
- Excellent technical and problem-solving abilities
- Works well with others under general supervision as well as independently
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
Highly desirable qualifications
- Sustained hands-on experience with small-molecule quantification by GC/LC-MS, sample preparation, and familiarity with instrument operation and maintenance
- Hands-on experience with basic molecular biology techniques such as PCR, molecular cloning, and gel electrophoresis
- Knowledge and experience with yeast biology, culturing, and fermentation
Berkeley Yeast is a start-up aiming to produce the next generation of engineered yeast strains for beer and wine production. Our initial technology – yeast that produce hoppy flavors during fermentation – allows for a more sustainable brewing process by reducing the reliance on hops, while providing other desirable attributes. Current products also include brewing strains that make tropical fruit flavors, remove off-flavors, and make sour beer. We have a rapidly expanding portfolio of products, including in the area of winemaking, driven by a strong and innovative research program. Our research positions provide an opportunity to apply cutting-edge technologies to the development of tangible consumer products.
Job type: Full-time
Location: Oakland, CA
Pay range: $60,000-$70,000
- Paid time off
- Health insurance (including vision and dental)
- Health savings account
- 401(k) matching
Interested in applying? Send your resume to email@example.com
At the moment we’re not actively recruiting for Scientist positions, but we’re always happy to connect with smart people who are passionate about metabolic engineering and fermentation. If this describes you, please get in touch! Our business is growing rapidly and there will soon be more opportunities to get involved.